Dear state legislator,
A few months ago, President Obama announced the "My Brother's Keeper" initiative. Eleven foundations partnered with the administration on this effort and have been working to create opportunities for a range of sectors to share feedback on policy and program changes that have the potential to improve life outcomes for boys and men of color. The National League of Cities has agreed to coordinate the initial outreach to state, local and tribal government leaders.
The president set an ambitious goal of having his administration and the philanthropic and private sector communities return within 90 days with an initial report and recommendations to improve outcomes for boys and young men of color. In this context, NLC is organizing several conference calls for state and local government leaders to elicit feedback and ideas, including commitments that you may have already made or are prepared to make to improve life outcomes for boys and men of color. The calls will be structured separately to get feedback from local officials and state officials.
In partnership with The Council of State Governments and the National Conference of State Legislatures, the National League of Cities would like to invite you to participate in a conference call for state legislators Friday, May 16, at 2 p.m. EDT. The conference call will serve two explicit purposes. First, state legislators and legislative staff will have an opportunity to hear from White House officials and the philanthropic community involved in the My Brother's Keeper initiative. Second, NLC will facilitate a discussion to explore the following questions:
- What are state legislators doing or considering to improve outcomes for boys and young men of color?
- What are lessons learned from past and current efforts to improve outcomes for boys and young men of color?
- What are some quick wins that can be achieved as part of the My Brother's Keeper initiative?
- What are specific opportunities for the Obama administration and the philanthropic sector to partner with you to advance outcomes for boys and young men of color?
- As we look to measure impact, what specific goals and targets should be set?
Click here to register for this conference call. The call-in information for the conference call line is (888) 608-3665, with a type in code of 8962050477.
Your feedback will be compiled and integrated into the planning process. I hope you will be able to join us. Should you have any questions or a desire to learn more about the initiative, please reach out to Whitney White Som-Pimpong at email@example.com.
Senior fellow, National League of Cities Institute for Youth, Education & Families